Sunday, January 11, 2009

A little more about China

I've posted about China on a couple forums and copied most of my posts to this blog but this sums up China's story best. It may repeat already posted things but here it is in it's entirety.

My Mom got involved with adopting rescued birds about 1-2 years ago. Her flock is a story for another time but I would go with her to pick some of them up. I just love being around them and have the bite scars to show for it. I have very little fear of any animal and am not afraid of being bit.

Anyways, I kept saying how much I love the birds and she started watching for a parrot for me. I have to be a bit fussy with 3 kids, one only 6 and just as eager to be with the birds as I am.

I refuse to buy my pets. Very rarely have I bought pets and that was mainly when I was in my late teens/early 20's and didn't know what I do now.

Mom knows several registered rescuers that she works with and one woman that Fosters. The one that Fosters is the one that had China.

Apparently the woman she works with found out or was contacted by the police about a bird that was kept in a Crack-House mad They abused her, kept her in the room they did drugs in and she was plucked bare. China is about 4 years old and that's all she ever knew.

The woman kept her for a couple months to detox (not sure how that's done but I guess she was exposed to crack fumes so often she had DT's). Mom's friend then had her for another month before I got her.

She worked with her trying to ease her fears of women (they suspect the women were the main abusers given her reaction to them). She doesn't mind men and absolutely adores children. Mom's friend wasn't making headway until her niece and nephew came over. I guess that was the first time China showed any interest in anybody around her.

Well, she didn't like me at all at first but I'm patient. The kitten I rescued lived in the back of my closet only coming out to eat and potty for over a year before she'd willingly let me approach her.

We've had her with us for 9 days now and it's like she's never been not here. She adores my 6 year old and is in love with my Hubby. She tollerates my oldest (son) and is still trying to make up her mind about my middle (daughter). I think she is trying to decide if my middle is a child or adult (she's almost 12) but is leaning towards liking her.

She was growing her downy feathers back and now has a full body of fuzz. She has 2 tail feathers and the feathers around her legs are coming in. She's beautiful.

She will say "Hi, China" and a few other things that aren't clear and we can't figure out yet. She has learned to dance. My youngest loves singing and dancing and China would watch her intently then copy her. Nothing funnier and cuter than a near-naked 'Too doing the Chicken Dance! Wing flapping, butt shaking and all!

She would prefer I didn't approach the cage but has learned that if she wants to come out, I have to since I'm being very strict that I will be the one to let her out, clean her cage and feed her. She is learning that at night "bedtime" means it's time to go in for the night. If she won't follow verbal commands, she will let Hubby put her in. After a long scritching of course!

I think her and I will become friends soon enough. She already gets excited when I put my coat on or leave the room for too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment